Friday, April 10, 2015

Black Bean Burgers (Meatless Monday #3)

I love black beans. They make a great addition to any meal! I make them into refried beans, I use them in my salads, and I love them on wraps! Now that we are doing meatless Mondays, I have found a new use for them. They make a great substitute for meat! There is no picture for these. I did not think at the time that I would need one for anything and the next time I make them I will be sure to upload some photos for yall! 

Until then, here is the recipe for this amazing recipe! I have tried more than a few meatless burger recipes and this one is by far the best! 

2 c. black beans
1/2 c. green peppers, chopped
1/2 c. diced onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 egg whites or 1 egg
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 c. bread crumbs (go here to see my recipe for making your own breadcrumbs)

preheat oven to 375
Drain and rinse black beans and then mash with a fork into a medium bowl. Use a food processor and chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Strain pepper mix with a paper towel, cheese cloth, or coffee filter to get rid of excess water. Stir into black bean mash. Stir in egg whites and seasonings. Mix in bread crumbs. Mixture should be sticky. Form 4 patties or 16 meatballs. Place patties or meatballs onto a greased baking sheet and bake 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking.




Tips:
Rub a small amount of oil on your hands to keep the patties from sticking while forming the patties!

Variations:
you can add corn before forming the patties
use crumbled Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs for a slightly different flavor
add cilantro into food processor with bell peppers



No comments:

Post a Comment