Sunday, April 5, 2015

Meatless Monday Menu

Meat... What most people consider the main staple of ever meal. Sure, there has been a dramatic decrease over the past few years in the amount consumed. We are seeing more diets that eliminate most, if not all meat. That will not happen in my house though. One time for one of my bucketlist items, (See the bucketlist here) I went vegetarian for two weeks. It was not the most interesting thing off of the list that I have done. I am a Texas girl, born and raised, and we like our meat! That being said, we are working on being healthier and more frugal!

One of our first steps was something I read about online, Meatless Monday!

An idea that someone that came up with, that if you eliminate meat on one day you can save money. I think the blog I read said something upwards of $20 a week you would save. My own calculations looked something like this for a family with two adults and two small children.

(these are calculations from the brands we eat and the stores we shop, these are not exact calculations, just an estimate used to see what we saved)

Breakfast:
- nitrate free bacon (3.99/pack)

Lunch
- chicken breast (4.50/pack, prepped and using half)

Dinner
-ground turkey (2.99/lb)

=9.23 amount of money saved per week
36.92/month
443.04/year

Not enough to warrant a vacation to Disney World, but it is a start towards a financial frugality that we are working too

Here are a few of my recipes:
Cheesy Potato Soup
Southwestern Salad w/Cilantro Lime Dressing
Black Bean Burgers
Sweet Potato Tacos




No comments:

Post a Comment