Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Egg-cellent egg muffins



They are really less like muffins and more like a little brother to the omelet. In my ever constant search for lunch box ideas, I stumbled upon this little goodie. 

A bite size omelet cup full of yumminess and whatever else you want to include in them! This was the first time I have ever made them, but I assure you I will be making more of them soon! 

They turned out to be a big hit and are perfect for a breakfast on the go! 

Omelet Cups

- 6-8 eggs, I used 2 eggs and 5 egg whites
- 6 pieces of sliced turkey (lunchmeat style) or 6 pieces of bacon (or a combo of them)
- 1/2 c. cheddar cheese
- add ins of your choice, I used onion, bell pepper and spinach
Could also use; jalapeƱos, cilantro, tomato, hash browns, sausage, mushrooms, etc.
- salt and pepper to taste


-Preheat oven to 350
-Grease muffin tin with something like butter or oil (I read advice that spray wouldn't be enough and tested that theory on one of the cups.. It stuck...)
-For turkey; lay slice over top of hole, and push down from the middle. It will bunch up some, but will essentially make a "cup"
-For bacon; wrap piece of bacon round inside of cup forming the side of the muffin (next time I may try making a bottom too, but this worked for the purpose)
-Beat eggs 
-Add your mix ins and cheese
-Pour into muffin tins (I used ice cream scooper) fill cups almost to the top 
-Bake at 350 for 15-20 min
-Let cool for 3-5 min then pull out of pan and let cool on rack 

If any of them seem a little stuck just run a knife around the outside edge and they should loosen up

My next venture will be to test how they freeze. For now I just stored them in the refrigerator a few days in a plastic bowl with a lid. I sent three in a ziplock baggy for breakfast. Warm in microwave for 10-20 seconds and enjoy!  





No comments:

Post a Comment