Sunday, March 8, 2015

The cost of washing dishes

Recently I was in the store buying some things when I saw a new sign hanging in the cleaning aisle. It was warning parents that children have been mistaking the colorful laundry and dishwasher tabs for snacks. How could they not, they are colorful and squishy. I can see how a toddler could confuse it for a delicious treat. What they get instead is a mouthful of poison.

I've slowly been trying to eliminate the chemicals that we use in our house. My ultimate goal would be to completely do away with anything toxic in my cabinets. It is a slow process, but this sign hanging in the store just prompted me to get more serious about it. 

So I started researching and decided to try making my own dishwasher tabs. 

The first time was a success and I have been making them since. They are simple to make and easy to use! 

Ingredients:
1 cup baking soda 
1 cup washing soda 
1/2 cup kosher salt 
2 pack lemonade mix or 2 tbsp citric acid  or lemon essential oil 
1 cup warm water 



Mix all dry ingredients together. (If you used the citric acid or lemonade mix, you can always stop here and just use it as a powdered dishwasher detergent.) Slowly mix warm water, and essential oils if you are using), then stir until completely mixed together. Pour into ice cube trays about half full. (If you fill too full, the tabs won't fit in dishwasher.)
Let them sit out in a dry warm place for a few hours until the tabs are hard. Turn tray upside down and bang on bottom until you shake them all lose. Store in cool dry jar or container. 



Not only are these non toxic and don't release any harsh chemicals, they are also MUCH cheaper than the store bought tabs. 

On average, the cascade tabs cost about $0.21/tab. The average price of the homemade ones is $0.05/tab. (Prices vary based on area, sales, coupons, and brand used.)





No comments:

Post a Comment