Friday, May 8, 2015

SPA-RTY

My last Friday night was spent in the presence of five "tween" girls, one second grader, and three girls under the age of four. This may sound like the beginning of a horror story, but it was just a birthday party I was throwing for a twelve year old.

This party was  a spur of the moment decision and came amid the planning of another party that has been consuming a fair amount of time. Still, I tried to make it the best it could be with both little time and little money.

The theme for this slumber party was to be a spa party! Seemed easy enough!!

First things first... Invitations!
Forgive the black marks, but it had an address and phone number on it...


These were cut out of some extra paper I had leftover from another craft project.  I found a pattern for a sleep mask online. The wording was printed on card stock and cut with the same pattern. Then I cut some lengths of ribbons from some leftover rolls I had gathered over the years. I glued the ribbon to the card stock and glued the whole thing to the backing! Voila, spa party invitations!

The second concern is always the cake. I am usually a fan of cupcakes, they are easy to serve and my cake decorating skills are still sub-par. I cheated with these cupcakes and used a boxed mix AND store bought frosting only because the day before the party I spent a few hours in the ER and was sent home with an unknown diagnoses for the rash and extreme pain in my arm. The time at the ER, the arm pain, and the meds they gave me slowed me down a little and homemade cake and frosting just wasn't an option for this party.




I did make some awesome "fingernail polish" toppers for them though! These were made my taking a big marshmallow, wetting it with a paper towel, and then rolling it in colored sugar. Next, take a tootsie roll with a toothpick in it and stick it into the top of the sugar coated marshmallow. Now you have what looks slightly like a bottle of fingernail polish!

The decorations are the most lacking compared to my usual party decor, but they served there purpose! Here are some photos of the set up. They are pretty self explanatory as to how they were made. 



For things to do at the party, I decided to keep it simple since I knew a lot of time would be spent talking about tween girl things. After our three pizzas had been devoured and all the cupcakes were gone, we played Musical Manicures.

Musical Manicures is a fairly simple game, where all the players sit around a table, and they are all given one bottle of fingernail polish of random color. Then when the music starts they start passing the polishes around the table in whichever direction you choose, Then when you stop the music, whichever color they have in their hand, is the color they paint ONE nail with. Then you repeat the above steps nine more times.

After our fancy manicure was complete, we moved on to facials. We used a homemade scrub I had prepared of oatmeal, yogurt, and honey. This was somewhat of a mess, especially when my three year old decided she wanted one too. Unlike the older girls, she did not quite grasp the concept of "don't wipe your face and then put your hands all over everything." It did make for the funniest pictures though. We had pedicures set up and the foot scrub and lotion (bought from the store to save time, but still packaged in little containers to look cute) but the girls were bored of spa stuff for a bit and a few of them were unable to stay the night and they had to get picked up around this time. They ended up doing the pedicures themselves after I had already retired to bed.

For party favors I made a homemade-ish sugar scrub. I just mixed sugar with some body wash and packaged in small containers. I would have preferred to have them in mason jars with cute ribbon and tags, but since they were gifts designed to be used in the tub, I did not want to be the one responsible for broken glass in the bottom of their showers.

For her gift from my daughter we made a picture frame and put a picture of them together! I found these frames at Walmart for $.97. I painted it a pretty blue colored and used some little gem/crystal things I had left over from last year when I bedazzled beer bottles for a 21st birthday party. 
I resized the picture before wrapping it, but you can get the idea! 

And there it is, one easy and cheap spa party! Anyone can do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment