Friday, May 8, 2015

Make your own breadcrumbs!!

I started a journey to be less wasteful one day when I had dumped enough food into the trash to feed a small country of starving kids in Africa. Part of a loaf of bread, half a bag of spinach leaves, a banana and a ziplock bag full of strawberries are just a few things that I was sending to the landfill that day.

That was when I made the resolution to figure out ways to stop wasting so much stuff! 

Almost half a loaf of bread, dried out and not so fresh anymore, usually I would just toss it. No one wants a crusty sandwich. Then for dinner I would use my store bought bread crumbs for a recipe. Just sounds like insanity. So I decided to use my old bread for my new bread crumbs.

It is so simple and makes them so yummy!!

Here is how:

Gather bread (I use old bread, the ends, leftover rolls from dinner, any old bread that you have)
Rub some coconut oil on the bread and sprinkle with seasonings of your choice.

seasoning ideas:
- garlic
- italian seasoning
- creole seasoning
- plain

Place on cookie sheet and bake in oven on 450 until bread is nice and crispy.
Let bread cool and then place in small pieces into food processor and blend until becomes bread crumbs. They can be as finely ground as you want or need them to be. I store them in the fridge or if it is in big quantities I will freeze some also!


No comments:

Post a Comment